We love asparagus and it’s a good thing because we’re picking it every day and have been for two weeks! I have prepared it in every way I can think of and even canned a batch of pickled asparagus. I’ve used a couscous recipe for years and decided to modify it a bit and add some roasted asparagus. It turned out fantastic! Roasting the asparagus with olive oil and lemon until caramelized gives it another layer of flavor that is scrumptious. Fresh lemon juice provides a bright note to the dish. Adding roasted asparagus to the spiced couscous makes the dish extra special. Enjoy it warm or refrigerate and served chilled.
Here’s what we’ll need.
Roasted Asparagus with Spiced Couscous
- 1/2 tsp each salt, ground cumin, ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp each turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 sliced scallions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup dry Couscous
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice fresh is best
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- 8 pitted Kalamata Olives sliced
- Place trimmed asparagus on aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, rolling it around so the asparagus is coated.
- Place in a 425 degree oven and roast for 10-12 minutes until tender crisp and caramelized. Turn the asparagus over once after 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. When cool, slice into 1 inch pieces.
- In a small bowl stir together the salt, cumin, coriander, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. Set aside.
- Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan and gently warm the oil. Stir in the minced garlic and sliced scallions. Cook and stir for 2 minutes until slightly softened but not brown.
- Add the dry couscous to the saucepan and pour in the 1 Tbsp lemon juice and the 2 cups of water. Stir, then raise the heat and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 5 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Let the couscous cool until warm but not hot, about 15 minutes.
- Place couscous in a bowl and gently stir in the asparagus, cherry tomatoes and olives.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve warm or chilled.
- If desired, spoon over lettuce leaves.
- I think this is a wonderful warm weather side dish! Very tasty and easy to prepare.
- Thanks so much for stopping by today. I truly appreciate each and every one of my friends here on The Journey Girl. I am so excited that the month of June has arrived and we can all be journeying outdoors enjoying the sunshine and warm weather. Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG