Summer is almost here and that means backyard BBQ’s, camping, picnics, pot lucks, and delicious food! Baked beans are perfect for any of these occasions. This savory baked bean recipe is so tasty and satisfying that Sparky could not stop eating them. I asked him to taste test my recipe and boy, did he ever! He carried around a little 4 oz cup that he kept on refilling, time and again. I have to agree with him, they are so yummy, I too, found it hard to stop sampling! The four different types of beans offer different texture as well as taste to this dish. The smoked sausage adds a wonderful layer of flavor and browning the sausage makes it even more tasty. This is so hearty and filling that served with cornbread, it could be a meal in itself. Served as a side dish, it will feed a crowd. Let’s get started.
Here’s what we’ll need.
Hearty Four Bean Bake
- 8 oz Smoked Beef Sausage like Hillshire Farms
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped Green Pepper
- 1 16 oz can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz can kidney beans
- 1 16 oz can pinto beans
- 1 16 oz can great northern beans
- 1-1/2 cups Ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tsp Dry Mustard
- Slice sausage in half, then cut slices in half and slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp oil and cook the sausage until nicely browned. Remove and drain on paper towels. Discard the oil in the pan.
- Drain and rinse the pinto, kidney and great northern beans. There is an incredible amount of sodium in canned beans that you really don't need.
- In the same saucepan, brown the ground beef along with the onions and green peppers. Cook until all the moisture evaporates and the meat is browned.
- Stir in the drained beans, the pork and beans and the cooked sausage.
- Add the ketchup, water, vinegar, dry mustard and brown sugar. Stir until well combined.
- If using a oven proof cooking pan, just cover and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Otherwise, transfer the beans to a baking dish, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, give it a stir and serve! This will keep well for several days in the refrigerator.
- Thanks for stopping by today. Wishing you all a wonderful summer full of fabulous food, good friends and family! Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG