In the long, hot summers up here in the Back of the Beyond in Ferry County, Washing, Sparky and I are vegetable salad fiends! They are cool, refreshing, satisfying and made with our home grown veggies, nothing can taste better. We’ve had a horrible heat wave for the past two weeks and trying to keep cool and minimize cooking is my plan and goal. I have been making this salad since the 80’s and no, I am not caught in a time warp. It truly is that delicious! If made with fresh peas, I par boil them for two minutes. If made with frozen peas, just thaw them and carry on. Make six generous servings.
This is what we’ll need.
Refreshing English Pea Salad
The rich, fresh green taste of English Peas, combined with a few simple ingredients makes a delectable, easy to prepare, salad or side dish. Nothing complicated. Crunchy celery, sweet pickle, a bit of savory pimento and the creaminess of hard boiled eggs. The only cooking involved is hard cooking the eggs which can be done 1-2 days in advance. Made with ingredients you may have on hand, this will go together in a flash.
- 12 oz bag frozen small green peas thawed
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet pickle
- 1 tsp sweet pickle juice
- 2 oz jar diced Pimento
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice the celery, sweet pickle and pimento.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the thawed peas with the celery, pickle and pimento.
- Chop the hard boiled eggs.
- Gently fold the eggs into the veggie mixture. Fold in the mayonnaise and celery seed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill at least one hour and up to overnight. Then serve and enjoy!
- Wherever you are in the world today, I hope you are enjoying summer! Well...that is except for Australian friends who I hope are enjoying winter! Yes, the heat here has been brutal so I am up and out well before dawn trying to get outside chores done before the heat kicks in. I try not to complain as our winters are 6-7 months long and summer is too short. I thank you for stopping by today and I ask you to visit my website at :www.the journey girl. PLEASE tale a look at my You Tube Channel: The Journey Girl Cooks. Like and subscribe today! Thank you! Until next time, Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply