Oh my! This is one fantabulous bite of over the top delicious! The earthiness of the fresh homemade Pesto, redolent with garlic and combined with the sweetness of tomatoes, the creaminess of the cheese and the crisp buttery texture of puff pastry, elevates this appetizer to out of this world! Yet, it is so easy to prepare and bake. Better to let your guests think you slaved for hours over this one when in fact, it is completely done in 30 minutes. This recipe came to be because I have an abundance of basil growing in my herb garden which I turned into a freshly made Pesto. But then, the question became, “what do I do with this amazing Pesto?” I had one lonely sheet of puff pastry in the freezer and some fresh mozzarella then was begging to be used. A couple of Roma tomatoes that I had just bought and just like that, this recipe was born. Sparky said they were “amazing!” Store bought Pesto is perfectly acceptable!
Here’s what we’ll need.
Pesto, Tomato and Cheese Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry thawed per package directions
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp Pesto homemade or store bought
- 3 1/4 inch slices fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a large parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cut the pastry into nine squares.
- Top each square with a teaspoon of Pesto, smearing it around a bit.
- Cut each slice of Mozzarella into thirds and place one piece on top of each of the nine squares.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices so you have nine slices. Place one slice on top of each square.
- Brush each square lightly with EVOO and sprinkle with salt. Top with a few shreds of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for five minutes before enjoying.
- Serve as appetizers with perhaps, a glass of red wine. Or perhaps serve alongside a garden salad, or a bowl of tomato soup.
- I so enjoy sharing my life, adventures and recipes with you from up here in The Back of the Beyond in Ferry County, Washington. Thank you for stopping by today! I hope you are enjoying summer and finally being able to be out and about again! Please stop by my website and leave me a message. I love hearing from you all. www.thejourneygirl. Until next time. Journey on! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
Leave a Reply