Blessed with an over abundance of never ending rhubarb, I have tried many different ways to prepare it. Pie, bread, muffins, dessert sauce, Victoria Sauce and more, but this my friends, is Nirvana! So far this month I have baked two of these cakes and both were devoured by family and friends who gave them rave reviews. I looked for rhubarb cake recipes on the internet and found numerous variations of this upside down cake, but none of them contained fresh strawberries! They all had strawberry gelatin but no actual strawberries. I fixed that little problem by cutting back on the rhubarb and including two cups of fresh sliced strawberries. Using a cake mix cuts down the prep time with no loss of flavor. I was requested to make a third cake if time allows, so yes, this was a hit out of the ball park success!
Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Measure the prepared fruit and set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix as per package directions, then set aside briefly.
- Place the rhubarb and strawberries evenly across the generously greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle both the sugar and gelatin evenly over the fruit.
- Sprinkle the mini marshmallows over the top.
- Pour the prepared cake batter evenly over the top of the marshmallows. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place a foil lined 10x15 inch baking sheet over the top of the baked cake and CAREFULLY invert the cake. Let it set as the cake slowly pulls away from the cake pan. When the cake has pulled completely away, then remove the cake pan.
- There she is! One gorgeous Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake! Let it cool completely, then refrigerate until cold. Enjoy!
- Thanks for stopping by today friends. I appreciate you all! Summer is literally right around the corner and so is Father's Day. Both on the 20th of June. This cake would be a wonderful way to celebrate both occasions. Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG