Well, these certainly are tasty little numbers! I’m sure we all have a favorite egg breakfast casserole recipe that we haul out for special occasions but have you ever baked a ham and cheese sandwich in a eggy custard like sauce? So easy to make and such a delight to enjoy for a weekend breakfast. Better yet, you prepare the sandwiches the evening before and refrigerate overnight. In the morning just pop the dish into the oven, bake for about an hour then sit down, pick up a knife and fork and dig in! This makes four servings but just double the ingredients to serve eight. I made a fruit salad to go along with the sandwiches and we had a delightful breakfast!
Here’s what we’ll need.
Overnight Baked Breakfast Sandwiches
- I used a 7x11 inch glass baking dish.Trim the crusts off the bread. (I save the crusts, let them dry then crush into bread crumbs.) Butter one side of the bread slices and lay them butter side down in the baking dish.
- Place a slice of ham on top of each bread slice.
- Sprinkle the tops of the ham with 1/2 of the cheese. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- OK...is it just me or do you see Mr. Potato Head in this bowl? LOL! In a medium size bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, salt and hot sauce.
- I used a wire whisk to make sure everything was well combined.
- Slowly pour the egg custard mixture evenly over the tops of the sandwiches, letting the custard seep into the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, uncover, let set out for 20 minutes or so to come to room temperature. Then pop the baking pan into a 350 degree oven. Bake for 55-60 minutes, then serve. Do these not look just fabulous?
- Thanks for stopping by today my friends! I appreciate each and every one of you. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and I hope you all know how Thankful I am you are going along with me on this journey through life. Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG