We love making our own pizzas. We can put on as much of and as many toppings as we like and there is never an extra charge! Pretty standard for us is pepperoni with onions, green peppers and black olives but we also switch it up to include Italian Sausage, mushrooms, cooked chicken, Canadian Bacon and more. Many times it just depends on what we have on hand. Speaking of what we have on hand, here’s what happened yesterday. I had to go into town and buy more Mozzarella because Sparky is a cheeseaholic and ate most of what I had put aside for pizza. Then I got busy making the pizza dough but when it was time to assemble the pizza, guess what? I had everything but pizza sauce! I knew I was not making another 24 mile RT to town and figured that I make everything else, so why not give pizza sauce a try? I mean it is just a seasoned tomato sauce, right? Well,my goodness! Easy peasy, very economical and it took all of five minutes to make. No cooking required and I had all the ingredients in my pantry. Meaning, I used only ingredients that I found in my pantry. Sparky thought this pizza sauce turned out just perfect which surprised me because he can be picky about sauce. I decided to say “use 1-2 tsp of brown sugar” because some canned tomato sauces are more acidic that others. Also, some folks like a sweeter sauce. This recipe makes enough for 3- 14 inch pizzas, using 3/4 cup of sauce per pizza. I froze the leftover sauce in 2 small zip bags. When needed I will thaw one out, snip off a corner of the bag and squeeze the sauce over the pizza dough.
Here’s what we’ll need.
Homemade Herbed Pizza Sauce
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce and the tomato paste.
- Stir in the Italian Seasoning.
- Stir in the Oregano, garlic powder, basil, onion salt, black pepper and 1 tsp brown sugar. Taste and add additional brown sugar as needed.
- No waiting required. The pizza sauce is ready to use right away.
- Here is last evenings dinner using 3/4 cup of sauce on a 14 inch pizza dough. Oh yes, it was delicious!
- Thank you all for stopping by today! For my pizza dough recipe please go to my website where you will find that recipe and many, many more! www.thejourneygirl.com. Being stuck at home during this global pandemic gives us all a chance to try something new like making your own pizzas! This would be a great cooking project for young kids to help with and certainly teens to have a go at making. Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG