Once in a blue moon I come up with a recipe idea that is so yummy I amaze myself. When I find myself heading back to the refrigerator repeatedly for just one more spoonful, I know I done good. LOL! When my Sparky heads to the fridge for just one more bite, I know I have a winner. This one is it! I admit I came to the kale bandwagon rather late in the game, but now I am fully onboard. Kale is a nutrient dense super food and right now there are 12 heads of kale growing in our garden, so I figured I had better find ways of using this dark green, curly leafed vegetable and is what I came up with yesterday. A very healthy salad, but more importantly, a simply scrumptious dish. Filled with Cannellini bean protein and yummy crunchy vegetables. Dressed with a simple but delicious combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and lemon juice, it is ready in just the time it takes to chop the veggies and whisk the dressing. You can serve it as I did last night as a side salad with baked chicken and asparagus or as a main dish salad piled onto lettuce leaves with a nice slice of artisan bread on the side.
So let’s get busy and build a delicious Mediterranean Kale and Cannellini Bean Salad.
Mediterranean Kale and Cannelloni Bean Salad
- 15 oz can Cannellini Beans rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can baby artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 whole jarred Roasted Red Pepper chopped. Or roast your own
- 1/4 cup diced Red Onion
- 6 Kalamata Olives quartered
- 2 large kale leaves stems removed
- 6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed is best
- 1 clove garlic pressed or finely minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried Oregano
- Prepare the red pepper, onion, olives and artichoke hearts.
- Rinse and drain the Cannellini Beans
- Put it all in a medium size bowl and toss to combine.
- Tear the kale into good size pieces then wad them up and rub vigorously between your palms. This brakes down the tough fibers making the kale softer and much nicer to bite into. Give the kale a rough chop with a good sharp knife.
- Add the kale to the bowl and toss it all together.
- In a small bowl, like a cereal bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, pressed garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and give it a good toss. Cover and refrigerate until needed. This can also be served at room temperature.
- Looking at these pictures makes me think I have to make yet another trip to the fridge for just another little bite!
- Thanks for stopping by today friends! As we journey through these strange Covid times, we need to treat ourselves with food that is both tasty and good for us. Encourage those who live with you to help prepare a nice meal. Lots of wonderful conversations happen when cooking together. If you live alone, call a friend or a family member while preparing a meal and share with them what you are making to eat. Ask them to share with you their ideas for favorite meals. We all need to inspire and encourage each other. Remember too, that preparing a meal for family and friends is a way of saying "I love you."
- Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
- Please visit my website at: www.thejourneygirl.com and my You Tube Channel: The Journey Girl Cooks.
Leave a Reply