Mid winter comfort food. That’s what this Goulash is. Just good ol’ family friendly, stick to your ribs, feeds 6 hungry people and leaves everybody happy, comfort food. I had a request for my recipe for Goulash so I made a batch yesterday to share the recipe with you today. And boy oh boy did it ever hit the spot! Yesterday we had loads of heavy wet snow and the kind of cold weather that goes right through you. This Homestyle American Goulash was perfect for the day. Serve it with a green salad and a crusty roll or bread and you will smile with satisfaction!
Here’s what we’ll need except I forgot to put the Ground Beef and the Paprika in the picture because it was that kind of day :-). And I switched out Cheddar Cheese for the pictured process American Cheese and that made me happy.
Homestyle American Goulash
- 1 Pound Ground Beef I use a Lean product
- 3/4 Cup chopped Onion about 1 medium Onion
- 1/2 Cup chopped Green Pepper I used a Red Bell Pepper because I had it. Whatever you have will work
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp dried Thyme leaves
- 1 Tsp dried Marjoram
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp ground Black Pepper
- 2 14 oz cans diced Tomatoes in Sauce
- 1 Cup Elbow Macaroni cooked
- 1-2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese the more the merrier!
- Brown the Ground Beef in a large skillet. 12 inch pan works well. Break the meat up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Chop the Onions and Pepper while the Ground Beef is cooking.
- Add the Onions and Peppers to the meat and cook about 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the seasonings. Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Marjoram, Garlic Powder and Paprika and simmer another 5 Minutes or so.
- While everything is simmering, cook the Elbow Macaroni until al Dente per package instructions. You could cook the Macaroni ahead of time if you like. Just drain it well and add a teaspoon of Olive Oil to it to keep from sticking.
- Stir in the cans of Tomatoes and the cooked Macaroni. Spoon this mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded Cheddar Cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 20-30 Minutes until Cheese is melted and the Goulash is hot. Then serve it up!
- That's it! I hope you all enjoy my take on Homestyle American Goulash, because it truly is a classic family friendly comfort food.
- Thanks for stopping by today. I appreciate all of my friends. Wishing you all the warmth of family and friends on your journey this cold winter day. Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
- Be sure and stop by my website at: www.thejourneygirl.com for conversation and recipes from up here in the back of the beyond in Ferry County, Washington.