Are you on Zucchini overload yet? We sure are! In recent years I have tried to create a new recipe to use up all that green squash that grows so prolifically in our garden. Some recipes are more successful than others, but this one I am happy to say, came up a winner! Zucchini baked in a scrumptious creamy sauce and finished with a crunchy bread crumb and Parmesan cheese topping. It turned out too good not to share with you all. Definitely not difficult to make. You can even make it a day ahead as it re-heats nicely. Sparky loved it as did I!
Creamy Zucchini Casserole
Rich, with creamy full flavored sauce, this is sure to become one of your favorite ways of cooking and serving zucchini! The combination of zucchini, onion and fresh basil is perfect when clothed in a white sauce flavored with chicken bouillon. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5 cups Zucchini coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Diced Onion
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tsbp Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 tsp chicken bouillion granules I use "Better than Bouillon"
- 2 Tbsp fresh Basil minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup dried Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheeses
- 1 Tbsp soft Butter
- Place the chopped zucchini in a saucepan and add about 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook about five minutes. Just until barely tender. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the 2 Tbsp butter over medium low heat. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent, about five minutes.
- Add the 2 Tbsp flour and stir about one minute to get the raw flavor out of the flour. Then stir in the whole milk, chicken bouillon,basil, salt and pepper. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat then lower the heat to simmer and cook for two minutes until thick and bubbly.Place the zucchini in a lightly buttered 11x7 inch casserole dish and pour the cream sauce evenly over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese with the softened butter. Sprinkle this over the top of the zucchini mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly and the topping is a golden brown.
- So delicious! And yet another way to enjoy the bountiful of zucchini that graces our gardens!
- Thanks for stopping by today my friends. Summer is winding down fairly fast and I hope we all can enjoy our journeys on these late summer days. Journey on! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Lin Seynave says
Looks Yummy. I’ll have to try this soon. Thank you!