There is nothing so satisfying as a warm bowl of flavorful, filling and comforting five bean soup on a snowy winter day. I know that sometimes it is hard to obtain a full flavored bean soup if it does not contain a seasoning meat, but I think this one is very successful! I made both a herb seasoning packet for the soup plus homemade vegetarian bouillon granules. That homemade bouillon made all the difference. This became a “Homemade Soup in a Jar” that makes four quarts of soup mix. Each quart jar makes about 2 1/2 quarts of soup. With the holiday season right around the corner, a jar of homemade soup mix makes a thoughtful gift. Are you having a gift exchange at work? Maybe a gift exchange at school or your card club? Putting together these jars of soup mix would be a great cooking/craft project for kids.
Let’s get started!
First we’ll put all the jars together, then cook up a kettle of deliciousness!
Tasty Vegetarian Five Bean Soup
Dry soup mix
- 1 lb baby lima beans
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1 lb green split peas
- 1 lb black turtle beans
- 1 lb red kidney beans
- 3 Tbsp dried celery leaves
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp dehydrated onions
- 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary crushed
- 8 Bay Leaves
- 8 tsp vegetable bouillon granules store bought or homemade
- 14 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- In each quart jar, layer 2/3 cup of each of the five beans. I started with the baby limas, green peas, red kidney beans, navy beans, then the black turtle beans.
- In a small bowl, combine all the herbs and spices EXCEPT the bay leaves and the vegetable bouillon granules.
- Spoon 3 Tbsp of the herb mixture into each of 4 small zip bags and top with 2 bay leaves per bag. Alternately, cut small squares of wax paper and spoon the herbs onto the squares. Fold and tape closed. Place bags on top of the beans.
- In 4 tiny zip bags, spoon 2 tsp of the vegetable bouillon granules. Close and snug the bags on top of the beans.
- Place a written recipe on top of a jar lid. Cover with a piece of muslin. Screw on the jar lid, then decorate as you desire.
Vegetarian Five Bean Soup
- Rinse all the beans and drain well. Place beans in a large soup kettle and cover with 1 inch of water. The beans should be one inch under water.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit for one hour.
- Drain and rinse the beans again, then return to the kettle.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes, six cups water, the herb packet and the vegetable bouillon granules.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until beans are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.
- Perfect served with a nice piece of freshly baked corn bread!
Homemade Vegetable Bouillon
- Add all the ingredients to a small food processor or electric coffee grinder and process until it is a powder like consistency.