We are well into Fall and let me tell you this year it has been cold! We’ve had temperatures down to 11 degrees at night which is highly unusual but it is what it is. Cold temperatures call for hearty eating, things like hot full bodied soups and a good rustic flavorful bread to go with that soup. There is nothing better after working outdoors all afternoon and coming inside to the aroma of fresh cooked herbed bread. I baked this Rustic Tuscan Herb Bread yesterday to go with a homemade chicken noodle soup for supper. It sure hit the spot after hauling and stacking wood out in the cold on Halloween Eve! This is a quick bread, not a yeast bread and if you are expecting a nice cake like tea bread, then this is not for you. This quick bread is dense, hearty and delightfully herby with chopped fresh sage and rosemary. It is both filling and satisfying served with soup, stew or chili. There’s not much to it and it goes together fast. Perfect for a busy day when you need something hearty but you have minutes and not hours to spend baking.
Here’s what we will need.
Rustic Tuscan Herb Bread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Chop the sage leaves and mince the rosemary
- In a large bowl combine the AP flour, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, sage, rosemary, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the egg, olive oil, milk and wine.
- Using a spatula, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Don't over stir.
- Spoon the batter into a well greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm with lots of butter and a bowl of hot hearty soup.
- Thanks for stopping by today friends! I appreciate your support and friendship. I hope you all enjoy this first day of November as we all start settling in for Fall and Winter. Stop by my website and leave me a comment. I do enjoy hearing from you all: www.thejourneygirl.com Journey on! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
Leave a Reply