I may not be a lover of all things chocolate, but I simply adore a chocolate pudding cake. You know the one where you have a batter on the bottom of the pan, but when you pour a hot liquid topping over it, the liquid sinks to the bottom and becomes a pudding while the batter rises to the top and becomes cake. It is beyond scrumptious! Thick chocolate pudding coating the dense, chewy delectable cake layer. I mean what’s not to like? The last time I made it I asked Sparky what he thought of my idea to add coffee to it and make it a Mocha Chocolate Pudding Cake. I’m telling you, his eyes widened, he smiled and said “Yes! Go for it.” So, I did and let me tell you I will never make a plain chocolate pudding cake again. Coffee really puts it over the top! Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream and you have a real tasty treat!
Here’s what we’ll need. (Well, we won’t need the Zinnia!)
Mocha Chocolate Pudding Cake
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the ungreased baking pan.
- In another bowl, combine the 3/4 cup sugar and the 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Slowly pour in the 1-1/2 cups boiling hot coffee and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Carefully pour this mixture over the batter in the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted just through the cake layer comes out clean. * Notice the chocolate mocha pudding layer oozing up around the edges! Oh, that is some mighty fine eats!
- Scoop up a portion and flip it over onto a plate so the pudding is on top and oozing down over the cake. Top with whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!
- Thanks for stopping by today friends. With Valentine's Day just around the corner, this this amazing dessert would be a wonderful way to say "You are special and I love you!" Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG