Do you not just love Calzone? I know I do! Pizza dough wrapped around creamy Ricotta cheese combined with some Mozzarella and Parmesan plus some Pepperoni thrown in for good measure. Topped with some Marinara Sauce and oh my!!!! I may have to stop right now and make a full sized one for dinner tonight! So, imagine all those flavors and ingredients in a bite size delight. I have been thinking about that big bowl football game that’s coming up. You know the one that the NFL has copyrighted so we can’t use the Phrase? Yep. That one. A big part of the activities surrounding that unidentified game involve food. Lots of food! All kinds of mouthwatering, delicious delights. It got me to thinking what I could create for a game day snack that would be both a bit tried and true, but also be a bit new and different. I mulled it over for a few days and bright and early this morning, this is what I came up with. After testing 6 of these bite sized marvels, Sparky gave them 2 thumbs up. I hope you will too!
Mini Pizza Calzone Snackers
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry at room temperature
- 8 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Pepperoni finely diced
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan or Romano Cheese grated
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Tsp dried Oregano
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 small jar Marinara Sauce
- In a medium sized bowl combine the Ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses. Stir in the Garlic Powder,Oregano, Salt and Pepper.
- Add the Egg and stir until well combined.
- Finely dice the Pepperoni.
- And stir it into the cheese mix.
- Unroll the Puff Pastry sheet. Cut 24 circles using a 2-1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Carefully fit the Puff Pastry circles into 24 mini muffin cups. Don't worry about stretching them up to the rim. Just gently pat 'em in!
- Fill each mini muffin with a scant Tablespoon of the Pepperoni -Cheese mixture. It puffs up so pretty when baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden. Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes or so. Then gently remove the Calzone Pizza cups to a paper towel lined plate to absorb the extra oil from the Puff Pastry. Transfer the Mini Pizza Calzones to a serving platter and top each one with a Teaspoon of Marinara Sauce. Then serve!
- Get out of the way as your hungry football fans are going to tackle these goodies!
Leave a Reply