Move over Apple Crisp. You have a delectable cousin that uses some more of our wonderful Autumn fruits to a delicious end! This Crisp has been a favorite of mine for years, but Dan has told me over and over that he doesn’t like cranberries. So of course, I set out to show him the error of his ways because I’m evil like that. His pronouncement? “Absolutely delicious!” Score!! Served with a really good quality of vanilla ice cream, this recipe is a keeper. Celebrate Fall and the harvest season by making use of fresh, ripe pears and cranberries!
Let’s build some Cranberry-Pear Crisp!
Harvest Cranberry and Pear Crisp
- Peel, core and chop pears into 3/4 inch pieces. Measure about 3 cups.
- Roughly chop the cranberries. Really they only need to be split in half. Aren't they gorgeous?
- Combine pears and cranberries in a medium size bowl and toss with the lemon juice and sugar. Then set aside while we make the crumb topping.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour and butter. Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut the butter into the flour until it forms pea size crumbs. Then stir in the oatmeal, Brown Sugar, pinch of cinnamon, pinch of clove and the 1/4 Tsp ground Ginger.
- Topping mixture should look like this when you're done.
- Spoon the Fruit Mixture into an un greased 8x8 inch pan. Evenly sprinkle the Crumb Topping over the fruit. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour until bubbly, golden brown and Crisp! Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream and be prepared to wish you had room for seconds!
- Just for fun, I have to show you a picture of my bag of German Oatmeal or " Kernige Haferflocken!"