There are few German dishes that I like as much as “real” German potato salad. There is no bacon or sweet-sour flavor and really bears no resemblance to the American version. From my first bite at a restaurant here in Bavaria, I have truly enjoyed this side dish and I quickly learned to make it myself. Dan is also a big fan, so this one has a permanent home in my recipe collection!
Kartoffelsalat is so easy to prepare and it can be served, warm, room temperature or cold which makes it perfect for Buffet’s or picnics. Because it does not contain Mayonnaise it is wonderful to serve during those hot summer months.
I think you’ll find it a great addition to your favorites list! Ready? Let’s build some German Kartoffelsalat!
German Potato Salad
- Peel Potatoes then cut in quarters. Place in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pan and cook about 12 minutes until just barely tender. If you can easily insert a fork, they are done!
- Remove the Potatoes from the heat and drain well. When cool enough to handle, place them on a cutting board and slice about 1/4 thick. Place the slices in a medium size bowl.
- Finely chop your Onion and sprinkle it over the Potatoes.
- Measure out 3/4 Cup of Beef or Chicken Broth. If you're a Vegetarian, I think Vegetable Broth would work just fine, but I have not tried it.
- Gently stir in the Beef or Chicken Broth so as not to break up the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Oil, Vinegar, Mustard, Sugar, Salt and Pepper.
- Pour this Vinaigrette over the Potato mixture and gently stir to combine. Mixture will be runny but the potatoes will absorb a lot of the dressing.
- Taste and add more Salt and Pepper if needed. Now, it's up to you to decide how you want it served. Hot, cold or room temperature. I served it room temperature and it was delicious! We enjoyed it with some cooked on the grill Hamburgers. Sparky and I also love it with Bratwurst! I hope you'll give it a try and enjoy this recipe half as much as I enjoy sharing it with you. Journey On!