I was talking to a friend the other night and strangely enough the subject of Oatmeal came up. Greg lives in Lancaster County, PA and told me that Baked Oatmeal is quite popular in that part of the country. It was a chilly, rainy morning today so I thought I’d create my own version of Baked Oatmeal, with spices, dried fruit and nuts. It was absolutely scrumptious! Nice chewy oats, flavored with brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice, with a lovely custard like texture from being baked with a mixture of eggs and milk. I used raisins and chopped dried apples but you can use any dried fruit you like. Today, I added chopped walnuts but pecans or hazelnuts would be wonderful too. So, let’s get started!
This is what we’ll need.
Delightful Baked Oatmeal with Dried Fruit and Nuts
- In a large bowl, combine the oatmeal, brown sugar, 1/2 cup walnuts, raisins, chopped dried apple, baking powder, cinnamon, Allspice and salt.
- Stir to combine well.
- In an another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate stirring the melted butter into the oats mixture along with the egg, milk combination.
- Pour into the greased baking pan.
- Scatter the remaining 1/2 cup diced walnuts evenly over the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the top is brown and the oatmeal is set in the middle. I test using a fork to see if the egg/ milk mixture has set in the middle. If more time is need, just bake an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot from the oven with milk over the top. Dan always adds additional sugar but I think it is perfectly sweet as is.
- Thanks for stopping by again today friends. Eating healthy is one way to stay healthy! I appreciate you all and we will get through these trying days together. I promise you that! Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much, much love from me, Karen, TJG