Chicken and Sausage with Peppers
So many incredible layers of flavor! If you love Italian foods then this will be a new favorite for you. I was thrilled to have leftovers because I kept sneaking into the fridge for just one more bite. Serve the savory sauce over pasta or even some polenta. I can't wait to make it again and again and again! I grow both thyme and oregano, but if you do not have access to fresh, substitute 1 tsp dried thyme leaves and 1/4 tsp dried oregano for fresh.
- 4 links sweet Italian Sausage cut each into 4 pieces
- 4 chicken thighs bone in and skin removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp small capers
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Prepare the peppers, garlic and herbs, then set aside.
- Salt and pepper the chickens pieces. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and the Italian sausage pieces. Cook until both meats are browned on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Remove meats from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Put the peppers in the same pan and cook about 5minutes until they soften a bit and brown. Then stir in the garlic and let it cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red wine, thyme and oregano. Cook and stir while scraping all that lovely brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Return the chicken and sausage to the skillet and stir in the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered for about 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- My mouth is watering just typing this recipe!
- Sprinkle the capers and parsley over the top. Stir to combine, then serve
I absolutely love everything about this dish! From the beautifully browned chicken, to the spicy sausage to the sweetness of the peppers and the brininess of the capers. The flavors all meld together in a herb seasoned red wine tomato sauce. Their is just the two of us but I like to cook enough for leftovers and this dish had me glad for what I kept sneaking a bite of in the fridge. Perfect over pasta with a slice of garlic bread and a green salad. I like being creative with my recipes and I will make this again using just Italian sausage and serving it in hoagie rolls with melted Provolone on top.
Serving: 1thigh and 4 pieces of sausageCalories: 826kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 36gFat: 68gSaturated Fat: 20gPolyunsaturated Fat: 10gMonounsaturated Fat: 34gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 1171mgPotassium: 988mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 859IUVitamin C: 141mgCalcium: 92mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!