It’s no secret that Apples of any kind are my favorite fruit. When apple season starts in the fall I am one happy camper and nothing tastes as good to me as a fresh picked apple! So many apples. So little time to cook them up into all kinds of scrumpdiddley-ish-ishness. This favorite quick bread is absolutely loaded with fresh apples, dates, nuts and spices. It’s been a keeper for me for many years but I admit to having changed it up a bit over time to suit my tastes which includes a bit of cinnamon, clove, allspice and nutmeg. So, if you like apples, spice and quick breads let’s get baking!
Apple and Spice, Date, Nut Bread
The dry stuff
- Sift flour,cinnamon, allspice, clove, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
The Add Ins
- Chop up the apples, dates and nuts and set aside for a minute
The wet stuff
- In a medium size bowl, mix the eggs, oil, sugars and vanilla until everything is well combined. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix by hand just until combined. Don't over mix or the bread will be heavy. Fold in the apples, dates and nuts. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients with a fork and sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Time to rest
- Remove pan from the oven and let cool 10 minutes. Run a knife along the sides to loosen from the pan. Invert onto a cooling rack and turn right side up. Let cool completely before slicing. Hint: I know it's hard but quick breads generally slice better the next day, but it tastes best fresh from the oven!