I have always enjoyed, but not enthusiastically, traditional Stuffed Green Peppers. You know them. The ground beef and tomato sauce peppers. Well, when I saw the 30 foot row of Green Bell Pepper plants my beloved planted this year, I knew I had to come up with some creative ideas for using them. I love all things Italian, so after thinking pondering it about a month, I went to work in my kitchen and this was the result. I’ve made them twice now and both times, Sparky gave them 2 thumbs up! Rich with Italian Sausage, Parmesan and Mozzarella plus a good dose of Marinara Sauce, I became an enthusiastic lover of Stuffed Peppers!
Here’s what we’ll need.
Italian Style Stuffed Green Peppers
- Pre-heat oven to: 375° Cut the top off the Green Peppers and discard the seeds and membranes. Slice a thin piece off the bottoms so they will stand upright. If you cut a hole in the bottoms, do not worry. Just take the piece you sliced off the bottom and drop it in from the top to “plug” the hole. I do it every time. Works great.
- Place the Italian Sausage and Rice in a large bowl.
- Add 4 TBSP each of the Mozzarella and Parmesan. Reserve the rest for topping. Add the Italian Seasoning.
- Pour in 1 Cup of the Marinara Sauce.
- Now get your hands in there and mix it all up. Keep mixing until well combined.
- Place Peppers in a baking dish. Fill Peppers will this mixture leaving a 1/4 inch at the top. Top each Pepper with a scant Tablespoon of Marinara Sauce.
- Sprinkle each Stuffed Pepper with equal amounts of the remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Make a "tent" out of Aluminum Foil and cover the dish of Stuffed Peppers. You don't want the Foil touching the Peppers.
- Bake covered at 375° for 50 minutes. Then uncover and bake another 10 minutes for the Cheeses to brown a bit. The Stuffed Peppers should be a light green and easily pierced with a fork. Depending on size, you may have to bake them a bit longer.
- Oh yum........................ Serve hot from the oven with extra Marinara Sauce if you like.
- Thanks for stopping by today! You know I enjoy sharing both my life up here in the Back of the Beyond of Ferry County, Washington and my recipes with you, my friends. As Summer winds down and Fall hovers in the distance, my wish is that you take a moment to remember all the good times and plan for even more this Autumn.
- Until next time, Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
- Please visit my website and leave me a comment. I love hearing from you all. www.thejourneygirl.com