I have loved Sloppy Joe’s since I was a kid. In fact, I love everything about them! Mine were a tad more “involved” than the one’s my mother served us, but the basic concept was the same. Meat, ketchup, celery, seasoning etc and what kid or adult for that matter, does not like dinner in a hamburger bun that you can pick up with your hands and devour? But, Sparky and I are trying to eat even healthier than we already do, and I had this package of ground Turkey, so the rest is history! I wasn’t sure that Dan would like this Turkey version, but happily while I was cooking away, he tasted them and declared he liked them even better than traditional Sloppy Joe’s. Winner! I sneaked a lot of vegetables into my recipe which is actually a great way to get your kids or your spouses to eat veggies without them even knowing it. These Turkey Joe’s pack a power house of flavor which is important as ground Turkey is kind of bland. So, let’s get busy!
This is what we’ll need. Plus some Molasses and Brown Sugar which I added at the end. It’s called being creative! 🙂
- 1 lb ground Turkey
- 1/3 Cup chopped Onion
- 1/3 Cup diced Red Bell Pepper
- 1/3 Cup grated Carrot
- 1/3 Cup grated Zucchini
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- 1 stalk Celery chopped
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp yellow Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Steak Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
- Start by browning the ground Turkey in a large skillet until juices are released. Just 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the prepared vegetables to the skillet. Mix in well and cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes or so.
- You want the veggies to soften but not be mushy. I like to both see and taste the vegetables.
- It's important that the ground Turkey be thoroughly cooked but not dried out.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet. Ketchup, Water, Mustard, Vinegar, Steak Sauce, Molasses, Brown Sugar, Salt and Pepper. Stir together well and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to how thick you desire. That's it. Done!
- Serve on a toasted Hamburger Bun with a side salad and you have a quick, delicious, healthy meal!
- Thanks for stopping by today! Now that Spring is here, I wish you enjoy some quick ,easy and scrumptious recipes that get you out of the kitchen fast and into the great outdoors!
- Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
- Please "Like and Share" with your friends and family. Your comments mean so much to me so comment away! www.thejourneygirl.com