In my estimation there is nothing wrong with Smoked Salmon. Nothing. Whether it is served for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or as an Appetizer, Smoked Salmon is incredible! Over the years I have enjoyed Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict and on a few occasions, I have made it at home. But this Irish Breakfast recipe puts Smoked Salmon over the top! Served atop Irish Potato Cakes and topped with Creme Fraiche and minced Chives, this one is out of this world delicious. In fact, I had to force myself to stop after indulging in one of these because they are rather filling, but so scrumptious I wanted to eat more!
The Potato Cakes are really easy to prepare and once they are cooked, all you have to do is add the Smoked Salmon and the Creme Fraiche. Easy enough for a mid week Breakfast and special enough for company fare. And BTW……Creme Fraiche is my new love. I can’t find it anywhere near where we live so I did what I do best. I made my own!
Ready? Here’s what we’ll need.
Smoked Salmon with Irish Potato Cakes
- 8 slices Smoked Salmon
- 8 small Potato Cakes
- 1/2 Cup Creme Fraiche
- 2 TBSP minced Chive
- Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 lb floury Potato like a Russet, cooked and mashed while hot
- 1-1/2 Cup AP flour
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 TBSP melted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 TBSP Butter for frying
- Boil Potato in its jacket until very fork tender, about 20 minutes. Peel and discard the skin.
- Mash the hot Potato with a fork until fairly smooth. RESERVE 2 TBSP Flour, then add the Flour, melted Butter, Salt and Milk. Stir until well combined.
- Spread the reserved 2 TBSP Flour onto a dry surface. Turn the Potato/Flour mixture onto the is surface and with your hands pat and smooth it into a 1/4 thick rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Melt 1 TBSP Butter in a large non stick Skillet. Add the Potato Cakes and fry them until lightly golden.
- Turn and continue to fry another couple of minutes until golden.
- Remove to a Platter. Carefully add the thinly sliced Smoked Salmon to each Potato Cake
- Top with Creme Fraiche mixed with the minced Chives and serve while hot.
- Simple. Delicious and easy too! Another straight from Ireland recipe sure to please!
- Thanks for stopping by and visiting while I share my love of all things Irish!
- Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
Leave a Reply