Do you need something quick and delicious to round out your New Years Eve celebration? Well, I have the answer for you! How do I know they are good? Because hubby says to me this morning, “I hope you didn’t need to take any pictures this morning because I ate a bunch of them last night.” Yes, I did need to take pictures but what better endorsement of goodness then to have half of them eaten! This is a “2 for 1” recipe meaning you use Puff Pastry sheets and 2 types of filling. DONE in 30 minutes!
So fast to make with purchased Puff Pastry. One filling is Pesto and Parmesan Cheese. The other is filled with Blue Cheese mixed with Butter and Parsley. This is the first time I have used German Puff Pastry. Heck, this is the first time I have FOUND Puff Pastry here! It is fresh, not frozen and the texture I found is somewhat softer and more buttery than the frozen P-Farm I’m used to using. So, I’m not entirely pleased with the presentation here but they sure are delightful! I think these Pinwheels would be fantastic with a bowl of Tomato Soup too.
Quick! It’s almost New Years Eve. Let’s go build some Savory Pinwheels
Savory Party Pinwheel Appetizers
Blue Cheese Pinwheels
Blue Cheese Pinwheels
- Work one kind at a time. Lay the Puff Pastry on wax paper or baking paper.
- Combine the softened Blue Cheese, the softened Butter and the minced Parsley in a small bowl. Make sure it is soft enough to spread. You might need to Microwave for 10 seconds. Carefully and evenly spread this mixture across the Puff Pastry.
- Parsley in German is Petersilie.
- Starting at the long end, gently roll the Pastry into a log. Slice it into 3/8 inch pieces and place on a baking sheet. I always use baking paper. It helps absorb the oils from the Pastry. *** If the Pastry seems to soft to slice easily, pop it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 12-1 Minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven. Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes. Then remove from the baking pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Prep the Puff Pastry as above for Blue Cheese Pinwheels.
- Carefully spread the Pesto sauce across the entire sheet of pastry. Sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese evenly over the Pesto.
- Starting at the long side of the pastry, carefully roll it into a log. Slice it into 3/8 inch pieces. Place slices on a baking paper lined baking tray. *** If Pastry is too soft to slice easily, place the log in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Watch closely after 10 minutes so they don't burn. Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes. Then remove the Pinwheels to a wire rack and cool.