I saw a posting on Facebook recently that asked if anyone still made meatloaf. Huh? What kind of a question is that? Of course I still make meatloaf. Meatloaf is a staple at our house! Maybe the person posing the query never had a Mom like mine who made a marvelous meatloaf. A meatloaf so delicious that over the years I have made very few changes her method. I say “method” because Mom never used a recipe, she just made it and I followed suit. Never wrote down the recipe until I decided to post it here on The Journey Girl. I think the only real addition to Mom’s meatloaf is that I add grated carrots to mine. A little extra moisture and a little more vegetables never hurt anyone. This meatloaf holds together well, but is moist and tender. The slightly sweet and slightly spicy topping gives it a nice bright tang and really makes this meatloaf just marvelous! And BTW………can you guess what my favorite sandwich is? Yes indeed, a cold meatloaf sandwich the next day really hits the spot!
This is what we’ll need.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef 85/15 works best for me
- 1/3 Cup Italian Seasoned Dry bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup shredded carrots
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp ground Black Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Ketchup
- 2 TBSP spicy brown Mustard
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar
- In a small bowl stir together the Ketchup, Mustard and Brown Sugar and set it aside.
- Grate the Carrot and dice the Onion.
- In a large bowl place the Ground Beef, Carrot, Onion, dried Bread Crumbs, Egg, Salt and Pepper. Add 1/3 Cup of the Topping Mix.
- Now get in there with your hand and mix and squeeze, mix and squeeze Ground Beef mixture until everything is evenly and well combined.
- Spread the Meatloaf into a large loaf pan and pat it down evenly.
- Spread the remaining Ketchup, Mustard and Brown Sugar mixture evenly over the top.
- Pop the Meatloaf into a pre-heated 375° oven and bake for 60 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let the Meatloaf rest for 10 minutes to re-absorb the juices. Then slice and serve. My Smokey, Cheesy, Twice Baked Potatoes and hot Buttered Peas are perfect to serve with the Meatloaf.
- So yes, I still make a marvelous Meatloaf and I bet many of my friends do too! Tell me what makes your Meatloaf special and what do you serve alongside it?
- Today my wish for you is a simple delicious home cooked meal to share with family and friends and much laughter at your table.
- Thanks for stopping by today. Please leave me a comment. I love hearing from you all. Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
- Be sure to stop by my website and leave me a comment. www.thejourneygirl.com
Leave a Reply