It’s hard to believe but Thanksgiving is right around the corner. At our house that means advanced planning is already underway as I check my pantry and pull out our favorite recipes. I even have a file folder dedicated to the all the best loved, tried and true foods we enjoy year after year. I’d like to introduce a new dish or two every year but the family is pretty resistant to changes in our holiday traditions!
I’m a great one for getting as much done ahead of time and these make ahead mashed potatoes are a real time saver. Made a day or two in advance and placed in an oven or microwave proof casserole, all you have to do is pull them out and warm them up. They can also be re-heated in a Slow Cooker. Easy and delicious!
Here’s what we’ll need!
Make Ahead Mashers
- Peel, cube and boil the Potatoes in salted water until tender, then drain.
- Warm the Milk, Butter and Cream Cheese together, then mash the Potatoes with the Milk, Cream Cheese, Butter, Sour Cream, Pepper and Salt to taste. I use my electric mixer to mash them but a hand masher works fine too.
- If the mashed Potatoes are too stiff, add a bit more milk. You want them to be somewhat soft when you warm them up.
- Place the Potatoes in an ovenproof casserole dish, cover and refrigerate until needed. On Thanksgiving Day or whenever, just remove the Potatoes from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before re-heating. That's it and you are now one step ahead of the Turkey day game!
- Thanks for stopping by today friends! I do enjoy sharing my life, my journeys and some wonderful recipes with you all. Whether there are 2 or 22 of you for Thanksgiving dinner this year, I wish you a day of good fellowship, comfort, good food and bounteous Blessings!
- Until next time, just keep journeying on! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG