Roast Chicken. Just the thought of it makes my mouth water. There are a few foods that I truly love, but my all time favorite comfort food is this roasted chicken served with mounds of fluffy mashed potatoes and buttered green beans! Flavorful herbs with both lemon juice and lemon zest season this chicken to succulent perfection. In order to keep this dish moist and juicy, I cut small slits in the chicken skin and stuff small amounts of the blended herbs under the skin which adds both moisture and flavor. I also rub some of the herb/lemon blend inside the cavity, then add half an onion and the empty lemon shells. Talk about flavor city! Lastly, a quick brush with melted butter ensures a crispy, golden skin. I could easily roast a chicken every week! I think one of the reasons I find roast chicken to be such a “comfort” food is that it reminds me of Sunday dinner after church back when I was growing up. Nothing wrong with that memory!
Ready? This is what we will need.
Lemon Herb Roast Chicken
- 4-5 LB Fryer Chicken
- 1 TBSP Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme or 1 TBSP fresh Thyme
- 1 handful Fresh Parsley chopped
- 1 TBSP minced Onion
- 1 Lemon zested
- juice from one Lemon save the Lemon shells!
- 1-1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 TBSP melted Butter
- Carefully zest the Lemon, then squeeze out all the juice.
- Combine all Herbs and Lemon juice and zest ingredients EXCEPT the Chicken, in a food processor with the steel blade. Pulse until well combined but not pureed. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from wrapper and remove the neck and giblets from the cavity. Either discard or save for another use. Rinse the Chicken both inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Using a small paring knife, make small slits in the back, legs, thighs, wings and breast of the chicken. Take small bits of the Herb-Lemon blend and insert under the Chicken skin using your finger. Rub it in well. At the front of the breast, loosen the skin and rub some of the Herb blend under the skin. Rub inside the cavity with a bit of the Herb blend. Place the 1/2 Onion in the cavity, then stuff the empty Lemon shells inside the cavity. Tuck the wing tips underneath the bird. Using baking twin, tie the legs together. Place the Chicken in a baking dish.
- Baste the Chicken with melted Butter. Place the Chicken in the pre-heated 375°oven.
- Roast for 90 minutes until 165° using a meat thermometer. Remove the Chicken from the oven and cover with foil. Chicken with continue to cook until it reaches 170°.
- Carve the Chicken into 10 pieces. 2 each of wings, thighs, drumsticks. Cut the each breast halve crosswise into 2 pieces. Discard the Onion and Lemon shells. That's it! Serve her up with your choice of side dishes and enjoy.
- Thanks for stopping by today friends. I truly love hearing from you all and reading all your comments.
- Today, on this cold and snowy day, my wish for you is a Chicken in every pot and family or friends to share a delightful Roast Chicken dinner!
- Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG
Leave a Reply