Yesterday the temperature was 97° up here and it has been hotter than all get out for the past week. This heat wave will continue through this first week in August. Standing at the stove cooking hot heavy food is just not an option. Right now we are craving cool, crisp, crunchy salads that take minutes to prepare but are full of mouth watering flavors. I have been making Pesto with Basil from our garden so I knew I had a starting point for this salad I tossed together this morning. But, store bought Pesto is just fine and certainly makes this dish even easier to prepare. The intense flavors from the Basil and Parmesan will make your taste buds sing! Combined with some scrumptious fresh veggies, this salad is truly a winner. The bright colors of all the vegetables are so inviting. Just makes you want to grab a fork and dig in! Because it literally takes just minutes to prepare you’ll have a lot more time for sitting under that shade tree with a large glass of Iced Tea. Sparky gave this 2 thumbs up!
Ready? Let’s build us a Heat Wave Pesto Pasta Salad!
This is some of what we’ll need. I kept adding more crunchies! 🙂
Heat Wave Pesto Pasta Salad
- 2 Cups dry Rotini Pasta
- 1 Cup Celery chopped
- 1/2 Cup diced Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup diced Red Bell Pepper
- 2-4 Radishes sliced depends on how big they are
- 1/2 Cup Black Olives rough Chopped
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 5 oz Queso Fresco crumbled. That's 1/2 of a 10 oz package
- 1/2 Cup Pesto
- 1/4 Cup EVOO
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook and drain the Pasta as per package instructions, about 7 minutes. Place into a large bowl.
- Chop, slice and dice all the vegetables. Crumble the Queso Fresco.
- Add the vegetables and cheese to the cooked Pasta.
- Stir in the Pesto and the EVOO until evenly coated. Taste and adjust with Salt and Pepper.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Truly no more than 15 minutes to put this all together. OK....now for that Iced Tea.
- Thanks for stopping by today friends. I truly enjoy sharing my life and recipes with you all from Back of the Beyond in Ferry County, Washington.
- Wishing you all hot Summer days and cool Summer nights. Enjoy it all!
- Please stop by my website and leave me a message, I love hearing from you all. www.thejourneygirl.com. Journey On! Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG