Burrito Bowls are all the rage right now and with good reason; they are fabulous! Done right, they have tons of flavor and with the use of both rice and beans, they are quite filling. After cooking the rice, I seasoned it with lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. That is some tasty rice! By the way, I always use Basmati rice. I find it cooks up better than any other rice I have tried. Other ingredients may include avocado, salsa and sour cream but you can and should add whatever you like. I used cubed pork loin that I marinated for six hours before grilling and it was absolutely mouth watering! I added shredded lettuce, sliced red bell pepper and thinly sliced scallions for an extra boost of flavor. The red salsa was delicious but next time I am going to try salsa verde which I think goes very well with pork. There’s no reason we can’t experiment and I am thinking I might try marinating some cod for an hour or so before grilling it. Sort of like a fish taco burrito bowl!
Here’s what we’ll need.
Grilled Pork Burrito Bowl
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Zest half of one lime to get 1 tsp lime zest. Juice the lime to obtain 2 Tbsp of lime juice. Mince the cilantro.
- Stir the lime zest, lime juice and cilantro into the cooked rice, then set aside. Add salt to taste.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a gallon size zipped bag and shake well. Add the cubed pork, then refrigerate for 6+ hours. A couple more hours won't hurt it one bit.
- Place the pork on skewers which have been soaked in water for 30 minutes or use metal skewers. Grill the pork for about 15 minutes until done. The timing depends on your grill. Alternately, cook the pork in a large skillet until done. When done, remove the pork from the skewers and chop into bite size pieces.
- In each of 4 bowls, start layering the ingredients. Start with the rice on the bottom.
- Top the rice with a generous amount of black beans.
- Sprinkle on some lettuce, then add the chopped cooked pork.
- Salsa, red peppers, scallions, avocado finish the bowls. Then for the finale, top each bowl with a good dollop of sour cream!
- I sure hope you enjoy this Burrito Bowl as much as we enjoyed them! We had leftover grilled pork and both Sparky and I keep sneaking into the fridge to snag a bite. Yes, it was that good! Please stay healthy friends and when out and about, make good choices! I have had 3 friends develop Covid 19 recently and it has been a huge challenge for them to get back their health. Better days are coming and we need to be positive and hopeful. Hugs and much love from me, Karen, TJG