Is there any breakfast more soul satisfying than a big plate full of Biscuits and Gravy? Hearty, “sticks to your ribs”, delicious and spicy. It goes over well with everyone I have ever served it to over the years. Country Sausage Gravy and Biscuits is one of those things that at times I just have to have ….now! When it is blustery and cold and you have to head out to do chores, a big plate of this yumminess warms you up and gets ya ready to tackle what ever the days brings! Of course this is a huge hit with Dan. When we first met, Dan was going to a certain restaurant on weekends for their biscuits and gravy. I was convinced mine were better and sure enough, one bite and he was hooked! But, for reasons known only to Dan, he has to eat his biscuits and gravy with a bit of honey drizzled over the top. I, being a purist, like mine sans honey.
I make my sausage gravy using my recipe for Country Sage Breakfast Sausage and spoon it over Breakfast Biscuits. Both of those recipes can be found right here on The Journey Girl!
Time to build us some Country Sausage Gravy!
Country Sausage Gravy with Biscuits
- Assemble all ingredients. This all goes together pretty darn fast.
- Place Sausage in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat while breaking sausage up into little pieces with a wooden spoon. Smaller the better!
- Chop the Onion and add it to the sausage. Continue cooking until Sausage is no longer pink and Onion is translucent. Drain if needed,saving 2 TBSP of drippings. Sausage these days is not nearly as fatty as in years past. You may not have any need to drain it if the meat is lean.
- Stir the Flour into the Sausage and Onion. Cook and stir for one minute scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.
- Pour in the Milk and stir it up good. Then add the Worcestershire Sauce, Poultry Seasoning, Sage, Salt and Nutmeg. Add the Cayenne if using. Bring just to a boil, then lower heat to simmer until gravy is nice and thick.
- Serve warm over hot buttered biscuits. Enjoy!