I created this recipe just about 3 hours ago because as they say, “Necessity is the mother of invention.” I needed something hot, nutritious and filling for Dan on those days when we’re trying to get him out the door and on the road. It’s important to fill him up as he never knows whether he’ll have the opportunity to break for lunch or not. Sometimes lunch is a feast and sometimes it just doesn’t happen. I make him a lot of Breakfast Sandwiches because they are quick, easy and he can munch while reading emails, etc. But I figured it was time to switch things up a bit, so I sat down and dreamed up these tasty, savory, cheesy muffins. Full of ham and flavored with sage, they immediately received a”you got a winner there,” from Sparky. Then I took 4 of them to our neighbors, Udo and Klaus and received “they’re delicious,” from the 2 of them! I am confident they will be a hit with your family too. They’ll freeze well and that makes them so convenient for a “grab and go” when you really do have to grab and go!
Time to build some Muffins!
Cheddar n Ham Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mince the onion and chop the ham. Set ham aside for a minute. Melt butter in a small pan, add the onion and saute until translucent but not brown. Remove from heat and let cool. Meanwhile........... Combine the Flour, Sugar,Baking Powder, Salt, Sage and Pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- I love ham! Doesn't it look good?
- In another medium sized bowl, whisk the egg with a fork, then add the oil and milk and whisk until combined. Stir the wet ingredients and the cooked onion into the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. Stir JUST UNTIL COMBINED. Don't over stir.
- Gently fold in the 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese and the Ham until incorporated.
- Fill the greased Muffin pan 3/4 full. You should enough for 10 good sized Muffins. Top each Muffin with a little extra Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake at 400 Degrees for 20 minutes until deliciously golden brown. Remove from the oven and set pan to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the pan. Serve warm with butter and enjoy!