This recipe is the third and final “dip” recipe I’ve got for you this Holiday season and you might say I ‘ve saved the best for last. If you are, like me, a fan of Blue Cheese then this one will be sure to please. I love the tang and the creamy texture of Blue Cheese. The tangier, the better in my book. One of my favorite little treats is to take a dab of Blue and smear it onto a stalk of celery and munch away. MMMM good!
I’ve been making this dip for probably 35 years to use with crispy hot chicken wings when I lived in Buffalo, NY. Hence the name “Buffalo’s Best Blue Cheese Dip.” It is marvelous as a dip for wings as well as raw cauliflower, radishes, cucumber, celery or any other vegetable that floats your boat. It goes together in just minutes but to get the full flavor, you should make it several hours ahead of time.
An interesting aside. Well, I think it’s interesting. You might think it’s all out boring but, Blue Cheese is a specialty cheese made here in Bavaria! It is well known and loved in this part of Europe. And guess what it’s called? How about “Bavarian Blue!” Yeppers, Bavarian Blue in its blue and white checkered wrapping is a favorite spreading cheese here. Much milder in taste and creamier in texture than say “Maytag,” it is delicious in its own right. OK….I’m done, so let’s go build us some Blue Cheese Dip!
Buffalo's Best Blue Cheese Dip
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise Don't use Salad dressing. The flavor is all wrong
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 TBSP onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely minced or pressed
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley finely chopped or 1TBSP dried
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice I keep one of those squeeze bottles of juice on hand for times when your only fresh lemon has seen better days, like mine.
- 1 TBSP white Vinegar Cider vinegar will also work fine
- 1/3 Cup Blue Cheese crumbled
- 1 pinch Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 sprinkle Parsley and Paprika on top to pretty it up. Red and green are THE seasons colors!
- First, finely chop the Onion and Parsley, mince the Garlic and put them in a pretty bowl. Well....any bowl will do, but pretty kinda makes me happy when I'm cooking. Smile.
- Stir in the Lemon Juice and Vinegar and add those pinches of salt and pepper.
- Stir in the Mayonnaise.
- and the Sour Cream until well combined. ( No, that is not a bandage on my thumb, it's a splint....sigh)
- Fold in the crumbled Blue Cheese until combined. Then cover and refrigerate for several hours to bring all the flavors together.
- To serve, spoon the dip into another pretty bowl set on a pretty platter from that big box Swedish store that you bought for 2 bucks ( wink). Surround it with your choice of fresh, crisp and crunchy raw vegetables. Try not to eat any until it's time for the party!
I made this today. Upon first taste, the lemon juice is slightly strong, but I think in an hour or so, the flavors will have melded perfectly. Lots of flavor! I do have a preference, though, that the ingredients be listed in the order they’re used. I’m a little dyslexic, and it keeps me from re-reading the recipe as many times, to make sure I didn’t miss something. Thanks, Karen!
Karen Giebel says
I hope it really worked out for you. Thanks for your suggestion on the ingredients. I#ll pay closer attention.
Just made this. Yummy. Added some buttermilk so it would be thin enough to use as a salad dressing instead of a dip. Turned out great. Thank you!