Black Bean and Chili Lime Rice Burritos
- 15 oz can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp lime juice divided
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 cups Mexican style 4 cheese blend
- 6 medium size flour tortillas
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Prep all the ingredients in advance then set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet. Stir in the black beans, 2 Tbsp lime juice, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl stir the chili powder and remaining 1 Tbsp lime juice into the rice.
- Lay out the tortillas and place 1/4 cup of the beans in a row down the center, leaving a 2 inch border at the top and bottom. Top the beans with 2-3 Tbsp of rice, then top the rice with about 3 Tbsp cheese. I don't measure the cheese. Fold in the top and bottom edges then tightly roll up the burrito.
- Heat the 2 tsp oil in a large skillet, then working in 2 batches, place the burritos, seam side down in the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until, crisp, golden and warmed through.
- Serve warm with sour cream, and/or salsa. So yummy!
- Or, if you're like my hubby, use sour cream, salsa, pickled jalapenos and extra cheese!
We recently returned from vacation on South Padre Island, Texas, near the border with Mexico and enjoyed fabulous Mexican food. Since returning home, I have been a bit obsessed with those flavors and decided to make some burritos using those seasonings but not the meat. So yes, these are vegetarian, packed with beans and cheese for protein. So tasty that you will never miss the meat. Plus, they are quite economical too. Sparky loved them and I will surely be making them over and over again.
Here’s what we’ll need.