What can be wrong with the combination of apples and smoked sausage? Why nothing, of course! Delectable, soul soothing, warming and satisfying. This is another of those recipes that I have been making for years and never get tired of it. Besides, even if I wanted to put this one on hiatus, it wouldn’t be allowed. I get requests for this bowl of yummyness every year at the Holidays and even during football season. So wonderful hot from the oven but I have been known to open the refrigerator and snitch a piece cold! This flavorful dish empties fast, so don’t worry about leftovers because there aren’t any. Pop it in the oven and do whatever you need for a while.
I have used a variety of smoked sausages in this dish and all are equally flavorful. It’s just a matter of personal preference. Smoked Polish Sausage, Smoked Beef Sausage like “Hillshire Farms.” A smoked Hungarian Sausage would be great. Today I used a Cabanosi Sausage which is commonly found here. Similar to Kielbasa but no garlic.
If you’re looking for an easy, sweet-spicy snack that feeds a crowd and is guaranteed to please, well then….let’s build us a applesaucy-sausage bowl of delight! BTW….Sparky gives it 2 thumbs up or it wouldn’t be listed here!
Applesauce and Smoked Sausage Party Snack
- Prick sausage with a fork. Put whole sausage in an oven proof pan and bake it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes to remove excess fat. Alternately, slice into 1/2 inch rounds and boil for 5 minutes to remove fat. Drain. Slice sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Chop up your onions.
- Peel and chop your apple.
- Go get the Brown Sugar. Home made in my world.
- Find your bag, box, can or jar of applesauce, depending on where in the world you are living!
- Mix all ingredients together with the applesauce.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. That's it! You're done and ready to serve!
- I spoon the mixture into a pretty pottery bowl to keep warm and then say "Dig in!"